Sleep is important and at the Healthy Bed Store in Folsom, CA we are committed to helping you improve the quality of your sleep. But sometimes we all need a break from the serious and recently I ran across 10 Interesting Facts About Sleep. I found it intriguing and thought you might too.
- Adults generally need seven to nine hours of sleep per night
- "Good night sleep tight" refers to the ropes that were used to secure mattresses during Shakespearian times, a tighter rope meant a firmer mattress
- A bath may make you sleepy by dropping your core body temperature
- Teenagers need at least eight and half to nine hours by night, but their internal biological clocks can keep them awake later and interfere with waking in the morning (as most parents of teenagers know from experience)
- Fragmented sleep can lower your metabolism
- You burn fewer calories watching tv than sleeping
- People move in their sleep, and change positions about six times per night
- Even in deep (REM) sleep you'll probably wake up when you hear your own name.
- Snails are great sleepers and can sleep for 3 years straight. (They're a little sluggish when they wake though)
- On average a person has five dreams for every eight hours of sleep
Perhaps for you the most interesting sleep fact is how well (or not) you sleep at night. We're interested in that as well. If you are in the market for a new mattress or other sleep-related products we invite you into our showroom. We are located at 2690 East Bidwell Street, Suite 100, Folsom, CA 95630. Our phone number is (916) 351-0700. Thanks for finding our website and for reading our blog.
"The Science of Sleep: What do We Know Thus Far?" by Dr. Robert Oexman, Director of the Sleep to Live Institute Sleep Retailer / Fall 2015