BedInABox Outlast® Comfort Mattress Pad
Not too Hot, Not too Cold™
Outlast® fabric was specifically designed to manage heat buildup in astronaut space suits. By using this fabric in a mattress pad, this pad can help to reduce sleep disturbances caused by variations in your body temperature. The Outlast® material works by constantly adapting to these changes, and adjusting to either release or store heat to more effectively regulate your body temperature. The pad itself is approximately 1 inch thick and has a polyester fiber filling under a lining of Outlast® coated fabric and is covered with a 300 thread count 100% cotton top.
Space industry technology for better sleep
Originally developed in partnership with the space industry for application in astronaut space suits, the amazing thermally adaptive; phase changing material used in this cover provides a level of comfort no other material can match. Inside the cover are microcapsules called Thermocules™ specifically developed for their ability to absorb and release stored body heat to maintain balanced temperature. Since the Thermocules™ in the fabric regulates body temperature; it ensures you stay at an optimal temperature for ideal sleeping.
Tested in space and on earth
Outlast® technology is the only phase change material that carries the Certified Space Technology™ seal of approval. The technology was first developed for use by the space industry, and continues to be developed and tested for efficacy and safety, across multiple applications, for major brands around the world. Outlast® currently holds over 96 patents related to thermally adaptive materials.
- Phase Changing Material - proprietary Outlast® Thermocules™ absorb excess heat and release it to the body as needed
- Certified Space Technology - Outlast® material is the only product to have this certification for textile application
- Advanced Moisture Reduction - eliminates moisture before it begins by actively and dynamically balancing temperature. Outlast® distributes warmth to prevent shivering and overheating, which reduces sweating
- Dynamic Temperature Balancing - Because Outlast® material works by creating a microclimate between the sleeper and the cover, it can provide individualized temperature regulation
- Originally developed for U.S. astronaut space suits - Used to maintain a more consistent body temperature and protect astronauts from the drastic temperature changes experienced in space
- Outlast® Thermocules™ absorb excess heat and release as needed resulting in a constant microclimate
- 300 thread count 100% cotton for soft, breathable comfort
- 100% polyester fiber filling provides supportive comfort
- Extra deep fitted skirt will fit mattresses up to 15 inches thick
- Easy care; machine washable in cold water on gentle cycle and dry on low heat
- Originally developed for the space industry for use in astronaut space suits
- Outlast® technology is the only phase changing material to have the Certified Space Technology™ seal of approval.
- Manages heat buildup under the covers to prevent overheating and perspiration
- Reducing sleep disturbances caused by being too warm or too cold
- Adapting to continuously changing skin temperature
- Adjusting to each sleeper’s ideal skin temperature thereby reducing thermal incompatibility
- Reducing sweating while sleeping associated with hot flashes
- Moisture reduction, not wicking
Not too hot, not too cold™
The advanced performance Outlast® material used in this mattress pad is what makes it so unique. It features Outlast®’s patented technology in a layer of material completely coated in Outlast® Thermocules™. The image to the right shows a microscopic image of the layer of fabric coated in Outlast® material.
How Outlast® Material Works
Outlast® technology is the original temperature-regulating technology. Outlast® technology helps to balance the temperature of the sleeper by absorbing heat when you get too warm, and releasing it back when you cool down. These Thermocules™ keep the temperature and humidity within your bed in the optimum range for a restful sleep. Outlast® material uses Thermocules™ which are encased in microscopic spheres called microcapsules (similar to how perfume samples are printed in magazines). These microcapsules work on two basic principles; phase changing and thermodynamics. In much the same way water changes from solid ice to liquid water depending on the temperature, thermocules react differently depending on the amount of energy.
The laws of thermodynamics help to illustrate how and why Outlast® works also. Excess body heat is absorbed, “charging up” the cooler Outlast® material. Seeking thermal equilibrium, heat is distributed throughout the Outlast® fiber or fabric. When the body temperature becomes cooler than the Outlast® layer, heat cycles back to the body to maintain thermal balance. Traditional insulation relies on trapping warmed air to maintain warmth. In contrast, Outlast® technology is an interactive perpetual comfort management process.
Dynamic Temperature Balancing
Because Outlast® material works by absorbing excess heat and releasing it as needed, it produces a microclimate between the sleeper and the cover, the cover can better regulate temperature on an individual basis. This dynamic temperature balancing is all possible thanks to the patented Thermocules™ used in the cover of this amazing pad.
Bedding with Outlast® technology responds to your constantly changing skin temperature to help you get a better night’s sleep and manages heat buildup under the covers allowing sleepers to remain at their ideal sleeping temperature.
Certified Space Technology™
Originally, Outlast® material was developed for use in astronauts space suits. These suits had to be engineered to keep astronauts safe from the temperature extremes and vacuum of space. Because of these extremes, the suits had to be able to keep the wearer’s body temperature as close to normal as possible. This is why Outlast® material works so well, it has to.
Since the material was designed for application in space suits, Outlast® is the only company to carry the Certified Space Technology™ certification for textile applications. The technology was first developed for use by the space industry, and continues to be developed and tested for efficacy and safety, across multiple applications, for major brands around the world. Outlast® currently holds over 96 patents related to thermally adaptive materials.
© 2013 Outlast Technologies LLC, Outlast®, Not too Hot, Not too Cold™, and Thermocules™ are trademarks of Outlast Technologies LLC
Fabric Care Note
Machine washable in cold water on gentle cycle and dry on low heat.
All Prices Include FREE SHIPPING and NO CALIFORNIA SALES TAX - by law, we must charge CA sales tax when placing order but will be refunded to you once order is processed.
TWIN XL – $139.00
FULL – $159.00
QUEEN – $169.00
KING – $189.00
CAL KING – $189.00